Working as an International Student in the USA

Wondering if you can work in the USA as an international student? Of course you can! Let’s look at the details.

If you are planning to study in the United States as an international student, you may wonder about the job opportunities you can find while studying. Here, we are talking about the jobs you can work during your education. Although it is possible to work in the United States as an international student, there are some things you need to know in advance.

In this guide, we have provided detailed information that you need to know before working. If you will not meet the following recommendations and still work, you may be departed from the country.

Do not miss your chance to learn more about how to be eligible to work.

What Do You Need to Work in the US as an International Student?

In fact, things you need to work in the United States as an international student are quite easy. Just like most of the other countries, you do not need to apply for complicated processes that will allow you to work.

All you need is a US social security number. This 9-digit number is issued to everyone who is going to work in the country. It can be issued for United States citizens as well as non-citizens. If you wonder how to get this security number, keep reading!

How to Get US Social Security Number?

The process to get the United States social security number is quite easy to follow. Before, providing this information, we would like to note that you will need this in many parts of your daily life. All the banks and credit card companies, cell phone service providers will also ask for this information.

The first thing you need to do is receiving a letter from your employer. This letter should include information such as the company will be working for, your job title, your salary, working hour and staring date.

Once you get this paper, you need to apply to your university to get a letter from International Student Services Office. Moreover, you need an F-1 visa and I-94 number.

After that, you need to fill the I-20 form and the SNN application, which you can be downloaded from the official website of the Social Security Department in the United States.

You have to bring all these documents and forms to Social Security Office in New York to apply for Social Security Number in the country.

Jobs You Can Work in the Campus

Once you get this number, you will be eligible to work in the United States. As an international student, you will be offered job opportunities on campus. If you are going to work on the campus, then you can work up to 20 hours a week.

Of course, having a social security number will not guarantee landing jobs on the campus. In fact, considering the high number of applications, your chances will be quite slim compared to the private sector. Here are some of the campus employers that can hire you:

  • FSA Food Service and Bookstore
  • Night Desk Attendant
  • Learning Center Tutor
  • Residence Life Office
  • ITS Service Center
  • Campus Life Office
  • Mail Room Admission’s Office
  • Athletics Services
  • University Advancement

Jobs You Can Work Outside the Campus

In case you are going to work outside of the campus, and you have the social security number, then you can work up to 40 hours a week. However, you will not be able to work in any job you want during your education. Although you can still be hired by employers, you may lose your working visa.

Here are some of the main headings that determine the possible positions you can work while studying in the United States:

  • Curricular Practical Training
  • Optional Practical Training
  • Severe Economic Hardship Employment

It is important to find jobs that will comply with the above-mentioned categories to keep working in the United States. You can find detailed information about them by consulting your campus management or visiting the social security department page.