Working as a Student in the Czech Republic

Find out all the information about working and studying in the Czech Republic by reading this article!

If you are going to study in the Czech Republic or already studying and looking for a job, we have some good news for you. In this article, we have covered everything you may want to know to work as a student in the country.

In fact, most of the international students work in the Czech Republic to improve their lifestyle. So, let’s stop wasting more time and check out everything you wonder.

Can You Work in the Czech Republic While Studying?

The short answer to this question is yes. However, you need to pay for some things depending on your nationality. Below, you can find more about these.

EU or Switzerland Citizens

If you are a Swiss or a citizen of any European Union country, then you can work in any job. You do not need to apply for an employment permit. Moreover, you do not need a blue card or employee card to work.

Citizens of these countries and their family members can work in the Czech Republic without any limitation.

Non-EU Citizens

If you are not a citizen of the European Union or Switzerland, then you need to get an employment permit first to start working in the Czech Republic. However, if you are studying in a degree program that is accredited by the government, you will not need a work permit either.

In addition to this exchange, students do not have to get an employment permit unless they are younger than 26 years old. Moreover, they cannot work more than 30 days a day.

If you do not fit the previously mentioned two categories, then you need to submit an application to get an employment and residence permit in the country. On the other hand, you can also apply for a blue card or employee card too.

It is worth noting that these permits are granted for a limited time, and you need to renew them at the end of their period. All students must meet certain requirements to be eligible for these permits. You can easily submit an application through the regional offices in your area.

How to Find a Job in the Czech Republic as a Student?

If you are a student, finding a job is a highly effortless task for you. Every university has career centers in them. All you need to do is visit any of these career centers and look for the available jobs. You can also sign up for future jobs so that you will be notified when someone wants to hire you.

You can directly get in touch with the companies and organizations looking for new employees with the help of these career centers. However, in most cases, employees will be looking for students who can speak Czech.

You do not have to be fluent in Czech to get hired, but you need beginner-level knowledge.

Can You Work in the Czech Republic After Studying?

Depending on your graduation, you can apply for the blue card. Blue card is issued for highly skilled employees and allows you to reside and work in the Czech Republic for three years. In fact, you can work in 25 European Union countries with the help of this card.

Both EU and non-EU citizens can apply for this card unless they graduated from one of the universities located in the European Union countries. Unfortunately, the card is not provided for every graduate but only those who graduated from certain departments.