Looking for a reason to spend your holiday in Portugal?
If you are bored with the typical European trips and holidays and looking for alternative places to explore, we have some good news for you. Portugal is one of the strongest alternative holiday destinations in the world.
The country offers amazing benefits to its visitors, such as a peaceful environment, entertainment, ocean, extreme sports, and delicious cuisine. Therefore, we wanted to compile some of the reasons that can convince you to visit Portugal.
We’ll not provide specific recommendations in this guide. Instead, we are going to focus on the reasons that will put Portugal at the top of your holiday list.
Without further ado, let’s dive into why Portugal is a great summer vacation destination!
Amazing Ocean Experience and Stunning Beaches
Would you like to swim in the ocean during your holiday? The Alentejo Region and the Algarve Region, which are located in the southern part of the country, are amazing opportunities to enjoy the Atlantic Ocean.
It is an opportunity because you do not have to travel to the Far East or the Americas to enjoy this experience. Below, you can find detailed information about the opportunities available in Portugal.
We would like to note that swimming in the Atlantic Ocean may not be a smooth experience in case you always swim in seas. The ocean is always colder than the small seas.
The country is famous for ocean waves that are perfect for surfing. Apart from a few areas such as Lagos, you cannot find beaches without waves. This is a great opportunity to learn surfing and dance with the waves.
Portugal is usually visited by fewer tourists compared to other countries in Europe. This is why you can have a spectacular holiday by avoiding the depressing crowd on the beaches.
There are also hundreds of hidden beaches which you can explore or engage in snorkeling. There are dozens of small caves you can explore by swimming in Lagos. Moreover, you can engage in other activities, such as boat tours, canoe tours, and fishing trips.
A Delicious Cuisine
Delicious Portuguese cuisine is one of the biggest reasons why you may want to spend a holiday in Portugal. You can enjoy the best and fresh seafood here. Of course, your options are not limited to seafood. Now, let’s check some of the famous dishes and beverages you can enjoy during your holiday!
- Porto Wine: Porto wine is one of the best wines you can taste in the world. There is nothing much to talk about its quality. You can find this delicious wine in any part of the country, but we recommend joining wine tours in Porto.
- Steak Sandwich: Eating a steak sandwich after dinner is some kind of tradition in this beautiful country. However, you can prefer it any time. Needless to say, it is extremely tasty and satisfying.
- Pastel de Nata: Undoubtedly, this is one of the most beautiful pastries in the world. It is full of cream inside and slightly burnt on the outside. We recommend visiting Belem Patisserie in Lisbon and consume it fresh and hot. You need to be careful since you may not stop yourself and easily eat too much.
- Sangria: Sangria is a cocktail that is widely preferred in Spain, but we bet you have never tasted one that you are going to enjoy in Portugal. Moreover, it is quite affordable.
- Pasteis de Bacalhau: It is some kind of meatball made of codfish. It is important to consume it fresh and hot. Needless to say, it is one of the most favorite dishes in the country.
- Seafood: All kinds of seafood are quite delicious in Portugal. Portuguese cuisine has many cooking techniques and olive oil and garlic are used widely. This makes the fresh seafood more delicious. We recommend enjoying octopus with baby potatoes, codfish and fries, squid, and sea snails during your visit.
A Spectacular Nature and Unique Landscapes
Since Portugal is not flooded by visitors every year and it has a small population, its nature is well-preserved. In fact, we can easily tell that it is relatively untouched. You can find many beauties to discover in every part of the country.
Valleys, sea caves, ocean shores, vineyards, cliffs, and rivers are some of the natural beauties you can witness and explore during your visit. Here are some recommendations for you.
You can take a walk in the cliffed ocean shores of the Algarve region in the southern part of the country. Moreover, you can visit Benagil Sea Cave, one of the largest caves in the world.
If you have time, you can visit the Volcanic archipelago, which is located about 1600 kilometers away from the mainland. It has an amazing nature that you must witness, but it is a bit challenging to get there.
In case you enjoy camping, we can recommend Douro Valley. You are going to feel quite peaceful among the vineyard, ponds, and terraces.
Hospitable Portuguese People and Fun Mediterranean Culture
You won’t believe your eyes when you see that people in Portugal are completely different from people in Northern Europe. Unlike them, Portuguese people are very hospitable, which you can start a lovely conversation with someone you do not know at all at any time.
Meeting new people at any time of the day will improve your mood. As a Mediterranean country, Portuguese people love to have fun. In general, everyone completes their dinner around eight or nine o’clock and they will be on the streets around ten and eleven o’clock.
You can find all kinds of entertainment on the streets. Some of the biggest reasons why you need to visit Portugal are music, theatre, and street arts.
You are going to see a lot of giant graffiti on the streets of Portugal. Those who are looking for great nightlife can visit Lisbon or Porto.
An Affordable Holiday Away from Tourist Traps
Apart from Lisbon, Porto, and Faro, many areas in Portugal do not attract many tourists. Therefore, they are well-preserved, and locals do not have intentions to make money over tourists. You can plan a holiday in Portugal just for this reason too.
The places you are going to stay, restaurants you are going to enjoy, transportation, museums, and every tourist activities are not expensive at all. You can freely take a walk in the streets of Portugal without the depressing crowd of tourist groups.
Some well-developed or popular cities may be a bit crowded in peak seasons, but you can always find better alternatives at any time of the year.