How to register a marriage in the UK and how much does it cost when married abroad? Well, let’s find out!
If you’re planning to marry abroad, then the first thing you need to do is inform the government that you’re going to marry in a different country. Depending on the country, the governments will request you to submit certain information and documents in advance.
In this guide, we’re going to share detailed information about how to register for marriage in the United Kingdom before or after you marry abroad.
How to Inform the United Kingdom Government?
The steps you need to follow are quite easy. As you can work with any agency offering services in this field, you can also carry out the entire process on your own. Below, you can find the step-by-step application process.
- Visit the government website and find the getting married abroad section. Here, you can find the list of Register Offices in the district you’re living in. It’s worth noting that only British nationals can apply to these offices.
- Later on, you need to pick one of the authorities around your area to start the application. You need to make sure that you check the validity of the certificate. The certificate you’re going to get must be valid on your wedding day.
- After you get the certificate from the Register Office, you need to obtain an Apostille to legalize the document in the target country. In this regard, you can visit the ‘’Get your document legalized’’ section on the government website.
- After that, you need to contact the Register Office again to book an appointment.
- You need to provide the town and country you’re planning to marry in the future. Moreover, you also need to provide the date of your wedding.
What Documents Do You Need to Provide?
To complete your registration and application, you have to provide certain documents. Moreover, you need to provide the original and produced documents. This means that digital versions of your documents will not be accepted.
If you cannot supply the original document, you have to contact the Register Office in advance to seek advice about what you can do.
Here are the documents that you need to submit during your application so that you can register your marriage in the United Kingdom:
- Proof of name and nationality
- Proof of ending previous civil partnership or marriage
- Proof of your address in the United Kingdom
- Documents about the change of name or nationality
If you cannot provide the original copies of the documents mentioned above, you’ll be unable to complete your notice.
What is the Cost of Marriage Registration in the UK?
For each application, the applicant must pay £35. However, you may have to pay additional fees depending on what kind of notice you’re going to submit. For instance, if you’re going to provide proof of ending a previous civil partnership or marriage that was issued outside of the United Kingdom, you’ll have to pay £50.
By following the above-mentioned information and steps, you can easily register a marriage in the United Kingdom no matter where you married your partner. You can always receive further assistance by visiting the official website of the United Kingdom government.