How to Immigrate to Germany Through Marriage

Wondering how to immigrate to Germany through marriage?

Visa for the Spouse of a Non-EU Citizen in Germany

Moving to Germany is a one-of-a-kind experience that you can enjoy in your life. This amazing country offers numerous benefits to its residents, and it can improve the quality of their lives. On the other hand, it may be challenging to get the required permissions to start living in the country.

Just like in all countries, one of the easiest ways to start living in Germany is through marriage. If you wonder how to get a visa for the spouse of a non-EU citizen in Germany or how to migrate to Germany by marriage, then this guide is for you!

We have covered everything you may want to know about these topics in the following!

How to Immigrate to Germany by Marriage?

If you marry a German citizen or someone with a permanent residence permit in Germany, you can stay in the country. However, you still need to apply for a residence permit. Unlike other countries, you cannot receive a residence permit through marriage.

You can reside in Germany for family union purposes. This also includes same-sex couples once they marry. It is worth noting that you will get a temporary residence permit at first. However, getting a permanent residence permit is quite easy when you obtain a temporary residence permit through marriage.

Firstly, you need to stay in the country for three years and you must stay married for at least two years to get a permanent residence permit. During your temporary residence permit, you can also apply for permits for study or employment purposes.

How to Get a Spouse Visa for Non-EU Citizens to Immigrate to Germany?

If you are a non-EU citizen and married to a German citizen or someone with a permanent residence permit in Germany, you need to meet certain requirements to start living in Germany. We have already covered some of the basic details you need to know about immigrating to Germany by marriage in the previous section. Here, we will detail them.

Getting a spouse visa for non-EU citizens is not that much different than getting a regular visa. If you are going to work in Germany, things will be easier for you. You can apply for a residence permit for employment purposes. Additionally, you can also apply for an EU Blue Card to get this permit.

You also need to rent or purchase real estate that is big enough for your family. Additionally, you need valid health insurance and funds to take care of your family while living in Germany. Needless to say, you need to be of legal age, which means that you need to be or older than 18 years old.

Moreover, you need basic knowledge of German to get the visa. You do not have to be fluent, but you should be able to ask the way or introduce yourself in German.

These were the basic requirements that every applicant must meet. However, there are some exceptions, in which you do not have to speak German at all. The first one is having an EU Blue Card. Besides this card, holding a Mobile ICT or ICT Card will do the work for you too.

In addition to this, if you are a citizen of the United Kingdom, United States of America, New Zealand, South Korea, Japan, Canada, Australia, or Israel, you will not have to prove your German knowledge.