How to Get Residency Visa for Israel

If you want to obtain a residence permit in Israel and wondering how to get one, you have come to the right place!

Israel is one of the countries that rarely grant residence permits. Of course, if you are Jewish, things will be easier for you. You need to have a valid reason to apply for the residence permit in Israel and each application is evaluated separately.

Your application will be subjected to a background check by the Ministry of Interior and Immigration authorities in the county. In this guide, we are going to discuss the ways to get a residence permit in Israel and their requirements.

So, let’s stop wasting time and check these methods and their requirements one by one.

B/5 Investor Visa for Residence Permit

Israel grants a residence permit when you get the B/5 investor visa. If you are not Jewish, do not have any bond with a Jewish by marriage or blood, this is the only way you can get a residence permit to stay in Israel.

The only downside of this method is it is only offered to United States citizens. Moreover, you need to invest in the country to live or work here. It was introduced in May 2019.

Requirements for B/5 Investor Visa

Besides the previously mentioned requirements, such as being a United States citizen, you need to comply with the following requirements:

  • The business you are going to start must be nonprofit
  • You need to submit proof that your company will be able to provide more income than the cost of standard living in the country for both the business owner and his or her family.

We know that the above-mentioned statements are conflicting, but these are the requirements that have been shared on the official website of the Israeli government.

Where to Apply for a B/5 Investor Visa?

You can submit your B/5 Investor Visa application in four states of the United States. The main reason why you can only submit your application through these states is they have a commercial attaché of Israel. These states are;

  • Washington
  • California
  • Texas
  • New York

Spouse Visa for Residence Permit

If you marry an Israeli citizen, then you will be eligible for the residence permit. If both spouses are already living in Israel, the procedures are quite simple. All you need to do is request a marriage visa by applying to the Ministry of Interior.

If both spouses are living abroad, then the foreign spouse should visit the nearest Israeli consulate and submit his or her application. It will be worth noting that you need to apply before you move to Israel.

During the background check, you will be granted a temporary visa, which will be valid for six months. You can live and work in Israel with this visa and renew it anytime when it is needed. After the background check, you will be granted an A/5 permit, which is valid for a year.

You need to renew it for three more years before you will be granted a permanent residence permit in the country. In total, you need 5 years to get a permanent residence permit.

It may be quite challenging to get a residence permit in Israel, even as a United States citizen. People with other nationalities will not be granted residence permits no matter how much they try. The government will never accept your application.

In short, you need to be a United States citizen or marry an Israeli citizen to legally live in Israel.