A Guide to Living and Working in Hungary

Do you want to live and work in Hungary? Not a bad idea! Find out how to achieve it by reading this article.

Hungary is one of the European Union countries and is a member of the Schengen Treaty. As a result, it is one of the appealing destinations for many entrepreneurs and those who are looking for new life. The country attracts many talents too.

If you are planning to live and work in Hungary, then this guide is for you. We have covered everything you may want to know about living and working in Hungary. Do not miss your chance to check out this information before you take any action.

What Are Different Work and Residence Permits in Hungary?

If you are not a European Union citizen, then you need to apply for a work visa and residence permit to live and work in Hungary. On the other hand, employers have a great responsibility during the work visa application.

Your future employer must provide the required documents to hire you and let you have the work visa. Below, you can find all the work and residence permits in Hungary:

  • Residence Permit: Residence permits allow you to stay in the country for 90 days. This permit is also known as tartózkodási engedély in Hungary.
  • Individual Work Permit: If you are planning to work in Hungary for up to 90 days or more than 180 days, then you need to apply for an individual work permit.
  • Joint Work Permit: This permit covers the days that an individual work permit does not cover, i.e., more than 90 days but less than 180 days.
  • Single Application Procedure: If you are going to stay in Hungary for more than 90 days but less than 180 days, then you need to apply for this permit. In general, your employer is also involved in the procedures and needs to provide the required documents so that you can get this permit.

What Are Different Work Visas in Hungary?

Besides the work permits, you also need to apply for a work visa. In this regard, there are plenty of alternatives that may vary depending on your nationality and profession. Below, you can find all the possible visa types you can apply for to work and live in Hungary.

  • Working Schengen Visa: If you are not a citizen of any European country and you are going to visit Hungary for short-term employment, then you need to apply for this visa type. You can visit or work in other European countries and this visa is valid for up to 90 days.
  • Schengen Business Visa: Similarly, people who are not citizens of any European country can apply for this visa type. Just like the previous one, you can visit other Schengen countries for multiple entries. Unlike the previous one, this visa will be valid for stays of more than 90 days but less than 180 days.
  • Seasonal Employment Visa: If you are working in seasonal jobs such as fishing, agriculture, animal husbandry, or horticulture, you can apply for this visa and relevant work permit. Just like the Schengen Business Visa, this one is also valid for stays between 90 days and 180 days. It also covers multiple entries.
  • EU Blue Card: If you are a citizen of any European country and you are classified as a high-skill worker, you can get an EU Blue Card to work and live in Hungary. You will not have to apply for a residence permit when you have this card. You can live and work in Hungary with an EU Blue Card for up to 18 months.

What Do You Need to Apply for Work Visas for Hungary?

Before you individually apply for any working visa, your employer must initiate the procedures. First, he or she needs to advertise the job for at least 15 days in the Hungarian Labor Office. Their priority must be Hungarians. However, if no one will apply for the position, your employer must request your employment.

If you are a highly skilled worker and your employer wants to hire you, he or she must prove why you are the only right candidate to the Hungarian Labor Office. If the Labor Center will accept his request, you can apply for a working visa.

It is worth noting that each working visa has a different application process. However, in general, you need to submit the following documents during your application.

  • Valid travel document, passport with at least 6 months validity, and two blank pages
  • The purpose of the entry and exit
  • Papers that prove the legal employment conditions
  • Health insurance that covers the entire stay
  • Valid residency address in Hungary
  • Application papers
  • Biometric data

These are the general documents that you have to submit in all visa applications. Depending on which visa you are going to apply for, you may have to submit additional documents and paperwork.


© Abroadcafe.com